Audition Info for 2020/2021 Season
Central Wisconsin Area Community Theater (cwACT) invites you to audition for our next virtual show: Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury. It’s a short play (30-40 min) about astronauts in a ship that gets hit by a meteor. The ship is ripped open, spilling them all into space. Those that survive are only able to drift helplessly – illuminated by their helmet lights. As they drift apart, they reflect on their situation and their lives. Until, one by one, they lose contact and their lights go out. This is a play for actors looking for the challenge of creating characters with little beyond words alone.
The plan is to rehearse on Zoom and film at our rehearsal space (The Shack). It’s a small cast of 7, so with the exception of one brief initial scene, only a few people need to be in the rehearsal hall at once. The actors will be masked using clear masks incorporated into astronaut costumes. Those in the shack during filming will be masked and socially distanced. Anyone auditioning should be comfortable with these conditions. Rehearsals will be 2-3 weekday evenings a week and determined by cast availability (please include weekday evening conflicts in your audition email). They will begin in late March and filming will occur in early May. Two performances will be streamed on cwACT’s YouTube channel on May 21 and 22, 2021.
Roles Available (Any gender):
- Captain Hollis: Tries to keep order in the midst of fear and an impossible situation. The last one standing.
- Stone: Searches for a way to, at least, not die alone. Calm at the end.
- Stimson: Overtaken by terror. Misery ended by Applegate.
- Applegate: A cynic. Kills Stimson. Goes out in a blaze of glory.
- Lespere: Happy in life. Wants to spend remaining time reflecting on the good. In conflict with Applegate. Last to go before the Captain.
- Woode: Fearful. Shuts down. Lost early.
- Barkley: Reports in, but is lost early.
- Please send a link to an approximately 1-2 minute dramatic monologue to email@example.com by March 22, 2021.
- Please use the subject “Kaleidoscope Audition (your name)”
- In the body of the email, please include your name, contact information, any potential evening rehearsal conflicts you might have, and any character preferences.
- Please include the link to your audition video in the email (do not try to attach the video to the email).